....still missing America

Joe and I decided to be a little adventurous this weekend. Joe and I tend to like familiarity...so I am not quite sure what got into us. But we found a Guadalajara tourist book while we were still in America, so we decided to go see a "Must See" based on this book. The "Must See" was a rock formation in a pueblo called Tapalpa about 2 hours south-west of us. I think the most memorable part of the weekend was getting lost in a foreign country in the middle of who-knows-where! Tapalpa is a pueblo on top of a mountain. The mountain road was paved but less than ideal. The drive was gorgeous! This country is greener than green! The mountains look more like glorified hills. I am used to mountains that are brown and dry.

A little stress and a few deep breathing exercises later, we finally get to Tapalpa. It is a clean, pretty town. But you are not going to find any Wi-Fi spots or cell phone coverage. To the right is a picture of the town. You can see the Catholic church. Every town/city center or downtown in Mexico is based around a Catholic church. Tapalpa is actually a vacation town. Many wealthy families buy a vacation spot in this city. They go up to Tapalpa to four-wheel. Even though it is a vacation spot, there were some very humble folk that live in town. The meat market was about the size of my closet with the meat hanging up behind the owner of the shop, unrefrigerated. The hardware store was the same way. The streets were cobble stone. There were roosters and hens running around on the streets. People own donkeys. We were far away from any grocery store. It was a place where meat, bread, produce, etc were all sold in separate stores. There was no one-stop shop. The shoe store consisted of one small shelf with a selection of ten pairs of shoes!

First thing we do when we get into town is go see this rock formation. I would have to admit. I was a little disappointed. It wasn't anything like this book described. But the scenery was breathtaking and it felt good to get out of Guadalajara. After walking around the rocks for a short bit, we decide to head back into Tapalpa. I had to use a bathroom. Well, it was quite difficult to find a place with a public bathroom. There definitely wasn't a McDonald's. And the nearest gas station was about 10 miles out of town. But after about 15 minutes of driving around and on the verge of using a bush, we found a park with public bathrooms. What an adventure! Next time we go to a remote town, I'll have to remember to bring toilet paper.This is what Tali thought of all the fun we were having! After using the restroom and driving around a little more. We decided to head home.

Tali's highlight of the week is that she has rolled over from her stomach to her back! She has only done it a few times. She has such a surprised look on her face afterwards. She doesn't intentionally roll over yet. It is mostly because she pushes up her big head of the ground and gravity does the rest.

Well, that's about it for this blog. I'll try to post more pictures of Tali own our next post. Hope all is well with everyone! We miss you all.

0 comments: