More of the Same

Not much exciting happened this week. We took some fun pictures of Tali. Here are some of them:

One of Tali's many bad hair days. I love her expression in this picture. It's a classic Tali face!
This is my favorite picture of the week. Dad was messing with Tali's hair and she kept making funny faces, so we snapped some pictures. This was the best one. It makes me laugh every time I catch a glimpse of it!

Then Dad offered to wash Tali's hair while I held her in the bath. So we all know what Dad's do....he instantly decided to mold her hair into a mo-hawk, took a picture and then let mom finish washing her hair. Dad's are always come up with the fun goofy stuff!
Dad messing around some more.I took this picture to show how big she is getting. She is getting too long for her car seat! I can't believe how tall she is. She is able to see bright colors now. Whenever I wear a bright colored T-shirt, her eyes are drawn to it. She also loves her bright red elephant. You can just see her discovering new things. It is exciting as a mom to see your kid developing. So here's a little bit about our week:

Joe and I decided to go out Friday night. We had heard that traffic gets bad on Friday and Saturday nights, but we decided to test it out. We were waiting at an intersection to turn left. It was a single right turn lane. Typically, you would see a single car line, right? And you always pull behind the car that was there before you. So Joe and I pull into the right hand lane and see two cars side-by-side with their blinker on to turn right. We both were a little confused and just laughed a bit.

Joe was just talking out loud and said he wanted to see someone else try to fit into this turn lane. Right after he said that, we saw this suburban pull up beside the red car with his blinker on. We couldn't believe it.

So, of course, we think what if a fourth car tried to pull up in front of everyone to turn left. And naturally, right after Joe said it, another sedan pulled up in front of us with his blinker on.No one would ever get away with this in the States. Even if you tried to do this and didn't get pulled over, you would have lot's of angry drivers honking at you. No one got angry and their was no honking. It just seemed normal. This is just how you drive in Mexico! I don't know if I will ever learn to drive like this because it goes against everything I was taught in driving school.

Saturday night, Joe and I went just down the street to Blockbuster video. We went in our sweats. I think most of us have been guilty of going to the video store very casually dressed, right? Joe and I felt stared at! In Mexico, people tend to overdress for everything. Women tend to wear high heals everywhere! It is an economic status for them. Even though our sweats were nice, newer and clean, it is still considered lower class to wear your sweats out in public. It is an interesting mentality to have. It is hard to explain. In any society, you have people that want to appear richer than they are. But in Mexico, it seems more dramatic because you have a big gap between the rich and the poor. There is a lot less middle class than in the States.

Joe was also informing me that in Mexico, it is hard to fire employees. By Mexican law, an employer is required to pay an employee's salary for a full year if that employee is fired. The only exception to that law is if the employer brings the case to court to explain that there was a reason for the termination of employment. Joe says, because of this law, it is really hard to find employment here. Employers get scared to hire just anyone because if they can't just fire anyone. I thought this little fact was fascinating. Joe also says, he can ask anything in his interviews. In America, an employer can't ask questions such as; what is your religion, are you married, what's your sexual orientation, etc. But in Mexico, anything is fair game!

That's about it for this week. Joe goes out of town Monday through Wednesday. It will just be me and Tali for 3 days. I sure hope she has three good days! I guess you'll have to check out the blog next week to see how it goes! Love you all!

2 comments:

Jess Berg said...

I LOVE those pictures of Joe goofing around with Tali! Those are seriously SO cute...
and the driving stories... well thats a large part of what I would be scared of down there! I mean, I thought Utah had bad drivers!

jespy06 said...

Great blog, Andrea. I love reading what you guys are up to. And the pictures to go with the driving story were perfect! Crazy.
Tali is SO adorable. Like Jess, I love the pictures of Joe and Tali. What a daddy's girl.
mom