The Second Week South of the Border

So...this week was very similar to last week. So I won't bore you with all the details. But here are a few highlights of this week:

I drove for the first time to Blockbuster Video. It was a little frightening considering the small lanes and the crazy "glorietas"(round-abouts). The public bus drivers don't care if they get hit, so they all drive like they own the road. You have to be careful because they'll push into the next lane. Also, designated crosswalks don't exist here in Guadalajara, so people are crossing the street where ever they wish.

I am still trying to understand the language...I have a feeling I am going to be trying to understand the language for my whole stay here. I learn a few new words each day. And then try not to forget them the next day. People come up and talk to me all the time...and I am completely clueless! It is so frustrating and funny at the same time. I have never felt so clueless in my life! It is a feeling that is hard to explain. I go to church and just sit there while people go on and talk about stuff that I don't understand. And when they get emotional, (which happens a lot with the Hispanic sisters in the ward) I have no idea what they are getting emotional about, which makes me feel a little hardhearted. It's hard to learn the Sister's names because; A. I have trouble finding the right words to ask and B. I have no idea what they say back to me. There names just sound like another word in spanish I can't say. It is quite amusing. The ward that meets before ours has an American bishop. He is going to medical school down here. He says there are a few American families in our ward that our going to medical school and will be back after summer vacation. He says that all the Americans that come down here are going to medical school. So I guess we are the exception.

So the biggest highlight of my week would be the giant spider that was just inside our front door when we got home from a day out yesterday. It is the biggest spider I have ever seen. I can't believe it got in our door. My worst fear is too wake up to find a big spider on Tali's face. I don't know what I would do. So after I found it, Joe and I pretty much played paper rock scissors about who was going to try to sweep it out the door. But of course I took pictures before I swept it out (I lost the game). This picture doesn't give it justice!

Tali still has no clue that she is in a foreign country. She just knows that it gets hotter here because there is no air conditioning in any of the buildings....this is a video of her taken after church last week. She got really warm so we stripped her down to her diaper.



Here is another video of Tali using testing out her vocal cords. It's kind of dark but it is the audio that is funny.





Tali is becoming more and more interactive. She smiles and talks a lot more. It is quite amusing. I love her more each day. She still doesn't quite enjoy her tommy yet because her neck is still a little weak. So we got a big red ball. And we put her face down on it. She likes that a little bit better because she can see stuff we put on the floor for her to look at. It actually gives her better practice holding her head up as well. It was a genius idea given to us by our doctor. I recommend it for any new parent.

Tali is still taking a few naps during the day. She takes one long nap midday and then a couple cat-naps inbetween. She is sleeping better through the night. She only wakes up about 4 or 5a.m. to eat and goes back to sleep for a few more hours. Her eating schedule is pretty predictable also. It is nice to finally have a very reliable schedule that we can work around. Joe and I have tickets to go see Batman tomorrow night and hope that she'll fall asleep for the night in the car on the way to the movie theater. The movie theaters here have what's called a VIP pass. Instead of the cramped seating, there is are theaters with big leather chairs, and the tickets are comparable those in the U.S. So we are going to check it out tomorrow night. That is about it for our exciting week. Joe leaves to go out of town this week for two days. I am sure it will go fine but I am a little nervous. Wish me luck!

I 'll post a few more pictures that I took of Tali.

3 comments:

Curry Clan said...

That's wicked funny that Joe wouldn't sweep the spider outside... it wasn't a bee. Tali looks so cute in all those photos- even in the diaper video. I miss having you guys around here. I know you sent out an email with the info on the best way to get ahold of you... could you possibly send it out again? Thanks!
Love ya
Jenni Mae

BrianB said...

It was really great to hear and see you all. Tali really is getting big. I love you all and think about you every day.
Dad

Unknown said...

Andrea... thats funny about the language barrier. When joe comes up to stay with us we have a little present for Tali.... probably won't fit her anymore but thats okay. I finished some pictures and put them on my website... feel free to post them or do whatever.

Miss you guys,

Chad