Our First Full Week in Guadalajara.

Probably the easiest way for us to keep everyone informed on our time in Mexico is through a tacky blog. Bare with us as we slowly get the whole blogging deal rolling.

This week was the first full "Jespersen's in Guadalajara" week. Each person in the family (Joe, Andrea and Tali) probably have a different perspective on how the week went, but here's a break down on this week's events:

Monday July 7, 2008: Dad took the three of us down to the airport at 4:00 a.m. for our 7:00 a.m. flight. The plane was uneventful, Tali is a great traveler. We had a brief layover in Phoenix and then were on our way to Guadalajara. After gathering our 8 pieces of luggage we left the terminal to meet up with my employee who was nice enough to pick us up and drive us to the apartment. It felt good to finally get to the apartment. We were able to relax for the rest of the afternoon. Later that evening, the three of us set out to the Wal-Mart nearest our home for some groceries. The experience was a little different for Andrea as we tried to find food products that we were used to finding at Smith's on Harrison. We wrapped up the first day by having dinner at a traditional Mexican restaurant right behind our apartment called "Los Otates". Andrea ate an "Arracherra" and I had some potato flautas.

Tuesday July 8, 2008: I had to get back to work this day, so I was up on-line and in on the phone with my guys most of the day. Andrea cleaned up the house a bit, organized the kitchen better and worked on arranging Tali's clothes. Most of the day was spent at home, but after I had finished work for the day, we figured we'd make another trip to Wal-Mart for some missing items. This second Wal-Mart trip was a bit easier on Andrea and she was already starting to recognize the store. After Wal-Mart, we took a drive by our ward chapel building and then ate dinner at a traditional taco stand close to our house.

Wednesday July 9, 2008: Andrea got sick from the tacos. Bad cramps, a fever and frequent trips to the bathroom. Probably not the best idea to take my wife's "virgin" stomach to a taco stand so early into our tenure here. So, most of Wednesday was spent in the house again. I of course had to work, and was quite busy playing catch-up. The weather here in Guadalajara this entire week has been cool and wet. It's rained everyday we've been here so far, and the temperature hasn't gotten above 70 degrees. Actually quite nice. We had a doctor's appointment for Tali in the afternoon at her new doctor. Tali got several vaccinations and a check-up and all is well. The doctor we choose is expensive, but very experience, very clean and very nice. She explained all of the vaccinations that are recommended here in Mexico for new-borns which is actually exactly what the U.S. Department of Health recommends for new-borns. The vaccines that were given to Tali were actually made in the United States. Andrea and I both felt comfortable allowing Tali to receive her vaccinations from this doctor. Later in the evening Andrea was feeling better, so we went to the local mall (which is actually very large and very posh) to find Tali a new chair. No tacos tonight.

Thursday July 10, 2008: I woke up with a killer fever and terrible stomach cramps. I had taken my left-over tacos home and had them for lunch yesterday and I think that's what did me in. I was in bad shape for almost the entire day. It was tough to focus on working and I was in the bathroom more than I was at my desk. Andrea was feeling a tiny bit better, but I was pretty much out for the count. This was the second time in less than a week that I have been sick from food (I was sick over the 4th).

Friday July 11, 2008: We were feeling better this day, but I had to continue to work. Andrea did some stuff around the house, and then at lunch time we took a field trip to our bank branch here in Mexico so that Andrea could get put on our bank account. Afterwards, we spent the evening at home, watched our newly installed cable television and hit the sac early.

Saturday July 12, 2008: We decided to sleep in a bit, do some additional chores and then hit Costco and a different grocery store (since we had been to Wal-Mart three times already the past week). Costco and most grocery stores are PACKED on Saturdays and yesterday wasn't really an exception to that rule. We picked up some items for Tali and some food and what not, and then came home. Andrea and Tali took naps while I took our car to get washed and to get a haircut. Last night we ate chicken nuggets that we made at home and watched the "Illusionist" on cable. We were going to try and get out to do some site-seeing today, but figured that due to our long week we would reserve that experience for another weekend (maybe next).

Sunday July 13, 2008: Today we went to church, our services start at 11:00. We got up and got Tali and ourselves ready. It was Ward Conference so the Stake Presidency was in attendance. It was Andrea's first Sunday at a ward where she didn't understand a thing that was said, but she did awesome. During Sunday School, a member of the Stake Presidency asked me to step into the Stake President's office (we attend church at the Stake Center). He interviewed me and asked what our intentions were in the ward (as in if we were staying for an extended period of time and if I was interested in serving). I said that I'd be willing to accept any calling that needed to be filled and would be excited to get to know more ward members and to help the church grow. He said that the Stake President would be extending a calling to me later this week, but did not allude as to what it would be. We'll find out next week. Andrea and I split up for Priesthood and Relief Society and she was brave and took off on her own, not understanding a darn thing. She told me that during Relief Society, all the sisters were trying to help her with Tali. Both of us aren't too keen on the fact that all the Mexican sisters wanted to hold the baby so Andrea politely refused most of them.

So, that was the big week. Next week's post will probably be smaller since I'm sure things will start to get normal for us around here. There's still quite a bit to learn and to see, but Andrea, Tali and I will slip into a routine that will become our daily lives. We're comfortable here, we're feeling quite a bit better tonight, and the only thing we're missing is being around are families.

As for me, I'm just glad that I finally have my wife and my baby down here with me.

Until next week.

Tali, Andrea and Joe

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like your doing good..... we sure miss having ya around. Let me know when you want to play WOW. I've got Kristi on skype so tell Andrea she can call her anytime.

Regards,

The Shaws